Comments: The Dragon and the Elephant

When is the book going to be available in the States?

Posted by Rob Spear at April 29, 2007 08:53 PM

Rob,
That's a good question. It will soon be published in Canada, under a slightly different title, but no US publisher has yet expressed an interest in it.

Posted by David Smith at April 29, 2007 08:59 PM

I agree with the economic arguments for globalisation, and the potential for global wealth creation.

What seems to be less well understood is the process of managing the shift from today's structures to a fully globalised structure.

For instance, I work for a large European electronics company who for the last 7 years have been cutting the European and North American workforce whilst hiring literally thousands of engineers in Bangalore and Shanghai.

BTW, all aspects are now being offshored from production through to R&D and Innovation.

Ideally large companies who are implementing these shifts should be managing the process to make maximum use of their Western employees.

Maybe govt should step in ?

Obviously I am taking all these issues into account when advising my children on career choice. So I fully understand the current shortage of students progressing into SET in the UK.

Does your book give insights into what Western high cost labour should be doing in the transition toward globalisation ? Guess I should buy it and see :-)

Posted by Nick Thorne at April 30, 2007 09:24 AM

1) David, what happens when, and if, there is a global economic downturn? The increased supply of global labour has thus far moderated wage growth. In a downturn, will it not mean that wages actually fall and keep on falling? Will the Eastern Europeans and other migrant labour exacerbate a UK downturn in the economy?

2) The missing point in all of this is how the indigenous working classes will react to the growing levels of inequalities. The elections this week will show if there is a ground swell. I still have my doubts whether the working classes are capable of mobilising themselves to protect their interests

Posted by Ash at May 1, 2007 07:21 AM

Having travelled both in China and India, albeit on holiday, in the last year, I can fully appreciate the points that come over from the extracts of your book that I have read. As one passes through the villages on the state roads in Rajastan one can't help feeling that this whole slice of Indian civilisation will be left behind in the march toward modernisation. Maybe the caste system can be partly blamed for this both in ignoring the poverty but also on the part of the impoverished for ignoring their plight. India is full of paradoxes!
The striking thing about the Chinese, particularly in Beijing, seemed to be their inability to smile. Also chilling wasw the attendance of an 'extra set of ears ' wherever we went ! China is in danger of destroying valuable natural resources such as water supplies because of progress, a worrying omen for some of their neighbours! Interestingly, whilst swamping Western markets with cheap goods and destroying Western imanufacture base, they can pull the plug on cheap prices and have more than enough in their home market to satisfy production (once a nation wide power supply is established).

Posted by Paul Wild at June 6, 2007 08:35 AM

Thanks for your observations - I know what you mean about those extra sets of ears.

Posted by David Smith at June 6, 2007 07:05 PM