Comments: Sterling's lucky escape from the euro

Why do you feel "glad, despite the irritations" to be part of the European Union? Perhaps I am spending too much time reading Euro-sceptic sources, but I cannot remember anything that the EU has done that has actually been of benfit to the UK.
Thanks.

Posted by Abelard at October 15, 2006 06:50 PM

I thought I was the Eurosceptic! Political stability, the bits of the Single Market that work, providing an alternative, albeit not a very effective one, to the United States. But I agree - you have to think about it.

Posted by David Smith at October 15, 2006 08:47 PM

David

England doesn't need to join the European Union to find some "alternative" to the United States. Whatever that means. England is free to align, support any political viewpoint and chart any destiny it's elected officials choose to embrace.

You want the benefits of trade, unilaterally eliminate all of your own trade barriers. I only wish the US would adopt those same and sane policies. Enforce contracts between willing parites, get out of the way and watch that freedom create spectactular amounts of wealth.

The Eurpoean Union is a suffocating beast.

Posted by Gary Bezowsky at October 15, 2006 10:04 PM

re china effect and this is certainly not new but why would the united states trade deficit with china ever be reduced.china offers high quality manufactured goods for low prices and this is not likely to change any time soon.and why would china not accept american ious when there is so much strength in the united states.
last week they took all the science nobels.they are at the cutting edge of science.they are the most advanced technological nation on earth and they are the only economy large enough to accomodate all that surplus cash the world has accumulated.surely they are worth a risk.

Posted by richard at October 16, 2006 05:49 PM

sorry i forgot the figure of 50 million workers waiting for jobs in china.this populous nation may well say to itself :"better take the ious and give jobs to those in need of employment."
ok so their huge treasuries mountain may diminish through a possible devaluation but the positives outweigh the negatives.

Posted by richard at October 16, 2006 05:54 PM

Thanks for the response. By "political stability", do you mean in Europe? I can see that that might be a benefit, by not getting the UK entangled in continental wars. I don't see that the EU has helped stabilise UK politics at all.

Posted by Abelard at October 17, 2006 05:34 AM